Monday, May 21, 2012

Just the beginning

Our first purchase as new parents, a Nikon D7000. Like all others, we are obsessed with our child.
I've always disliked surprises. My 4 lb. 12 oz. bundle of joy decided to surprise me at 33 weeks. NOT acceptable. Doctors drugged me with steroids and magnesium and luckily, baby came out remarkably heavier and healthier than anticipated. Everyone prepares you for what to expect with the baby's care at NICU, but nobody provides any emotional guidance for the mothers. I left the hospital empty-handed and hearted, watching the other mommies discharged with their babies in tow. I was a wreck. It took me a few days to accept that my preemie would get better care at the hospital and all of the equipment to monitor him. I went to visit baby 6 times a day at his feedings and provide what the nurses couldn't, his mother's love and a couple nipples. And it turns out that NICU was the night nurse I never knew I needed. The nurses not only helped baby get stronger, but were tremendous coaches to mommy and daddy and made us better parents.

I introduce you to my muse, Jackson. When he's not busy being a baby, he is my supermodel.

No comments:

Post a Comment